Sunday, December 10, 2006

I don't like bad ballet

I went to see a production of the Nutcracker yesterday. It was a joyous time. We had front row seats-- the kind of seat where the performers were making eye contact with you. The fact that I enjoyed myself at ballet reminded me of all the times I'd said I was too redneck to appreciate this classical art form.

Then it hit me. I realized that there were quite a few times where the dancers were jumping and twirling that had nothing to do with the theme or rhythm of the music at the time! This was perhaps some of the most delightful classical music ever, and the choreographer had them (perfectly, mind you) executing jumps and twirls just for the sake of it.

Mind you, I'm one of those blokes who believes that a good dancer should practically stand still during the extremely slow moments of Everybody Dance Now!. I realized that I don't hate ballet, I hate cheezy choreography.

No comments: