Monday, June 12, 2006

A review of OpenLab GNU/Linux 4.1 Alpha 1

I tried this distro as a live CD. The Distrowatch announcement claims this release "includes significant enhancements for mobile computing, including improved wireless and WPA support." I say we need more distros to focus on this aspect of computing.

Openlab has the best design for user interface to wireless that I have seen. A window is on the boot-up for their home-grown wireless utility, and it's one of the best ones I've seen. While KWifiManager gives you enough rope to hang yourself several times over, with far too many options, and its panel for changing encryption key settings buried deep in sub-menus, Openlab's utility on the other hand is brief and to the point.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I wasn't ever able to connect to the internet using it on a PC which has worked with many other a distro. I haven't taken time to figure out why. I hope the reason is not that it fails to have the wireless drivers that even come with da__ small linux.

SUMMARY
Wifi user interface: best ever
Wifi functionality: not

No comments: