Saturday, February 16, 2008

Superimposing 3D characters on photos


I was thinking about brushing off my online comic and producing some more images. One thing that I was thinking about was a simpler way to make it. I was reading a book about digital comics and saw a mention of the use of layers. So I rendered a character on a white background, and then pasted it onto a beach scene. I don't think I have found any magic formula yet. The biggest problem was the white or aliased border around the character. I tried rendering with a really large number of pixels, doing a color select, and then shrinking it by one pixel. I'm beginning to wonder if that would eventually save any effort in the long run.

One thing that frustrated the use of povray in making an online comic was that I was spending too much time fiddling with the camera in order to get all the figures into the scene. Still thinking.

No comments: