Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Stupidest thing I ever did to a computer-- Don't try this at home!

This morning I wanted to see how a series of renderings was progressing. I'm trying to render a few thousand povray scene files that I had written over the years. It's probably going to take some 48 hours to complete.

I was walking to the computer room, taking off a sweater. I could hear the static electricity as I took it off. I thought to myself, "Hmmm. I've got a huge buildup of static electricity, and I had better not go operate the computer until I have had a chance to discharge it." As I'm walking along, the backside of the PC, its metal case comes into view. I thought, "Hmm, I know the frame is usually grounded, so I'll discharge it by touching the frame." I have to walk around the table to get to the chair and the keyboard. By the time I look at the monitor, GRUB is loading.

It must have been that the discharge to the frame immediately rebooted the computer. Fortunately, I haven't lost any files, but interrupting this huge render will be an accounting headache to move files around so that I don't have to start over from the beginning.

Don't try this at home.

No comments: