Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sita Sings the Blues

Here's a wicked cool animation, that I first heard about through the Creative Commons website. It talks a lot about some of the cultural heroes of Indian history and/or mythology, and has quite an endearing soundtrack to go along with it. It's called "Sita Sings the Blues".

I'm offering it up firstly because it is Creative Commons licensed. But also because it reminds me that you can be a great video artist if you are simply creative and share your soul with the world. I have participated in several animation contests around the world. While the work I was submitting was surely sub-standard, I also felt there was a kind of bullying to adopt a certain style. In one case, only exhaustively photorealistic 3D was to be tolerated. In another, there was a pressure to have character animation with so much flowing arc movement that the winning entries often seemed to have a nervous twitch.

Here in this case, it looks like it's just vector art, and often the characters just sway from side to side. But it's great FUN! No exhaustive photorealism, no twitchy body arcs. I hope it's a smashing web phenomenon.

No comments: