Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Problem with the ELCA (and its Conservative Critics)

I am a member of a congregation in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I agree with some of its theologically conservative critics that there are some things adrift theologically in the denomination. However, I think sometimes some of the criticisms are more about political conservatism, more about the offense of Carnal Man at those who reprove in the gate.

Here's my analogy to explain the difference. In my analogy C.F.W. Walther, a prominent 19th century American Lutheran theologian, meets a railroad worker with a reputation for gleefully engaging in drunken brawls. The theological context for such a situation is 1 Corinthians 6:10, which warns that
"...[Neither] thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God."

Here's my analogy:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE ELCA:

"Hey brawler, why don't you take up knitting? Knitting is a great way to imitate Christ. Knitting is a great way to boldy proclaim our faith in Jesus Christ. Join our interfaith press conference to call for subsidies of yarn factories. (I am in no way terrified of my judgment of what good works are good and God-pleasing). "


WHAT'S WRONG WITH ELCA CRITICS WHO APPLY A MISTAKEN VERSION OF THE THEOLOGY OF THE CROSS:

"(I am completely terrified of my judgment of what sinful activities are bad and God-displeasing). I am too afraid of my own agenda-setting to make any criticism. I will instead go and do mission. I seek to know nothing but Christ crucified. Criticizing drunken brawls shows a lack of understanding of the division of the Two Kingdoms. "

No comments: